GGFlex Project User Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedicated to development of the GGFlex Open Source CNC Milling Machine, this forum contains news, updates, guides, support, and community conversations.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Finished the build, need advice on building/mounting control unit.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
patkelley

Finished the build, need advice on building/mounting control unit. Empty
PostSubject: Finished the build, need advice on building/mounting control unit.   Finished the build, need advice on building/mounting control unit. EmptyFri Feb 19, 2021 10:41 am

This is really a solid kit, my advice to others is to read all the instructions first to note orientation of everything, especially the mill carriage.

Now looking for ideas on the controller - there may be enough harness to make it stand alone, but it appears to be easier to put a control box on top of the frame.  Ideas??Finished the build, need advice on building/mounting control unit. 20210214
Finished the build, need advice on building/mounting control unit. 20210215

EEM-LLC likes this post

Back to top Go down
Iresh

PostSubject: Re: Finished the build, need advice on building/mounting control unit.   Finished the build, need advice on building/mounting control unit. EmptyFri Feb 19, 2021 10:45 pm

Just my 2c, but I played with the stepper motor wire routing, and it would probably be best to have an enclosure topside or on the back/side of the frame. I'm planning one of the top rear corners myself.
Back to top Go down
patkelley

PostSubject: Re: Finished the build, need advice on building/mounting control unit.   Finished the build, need advice on building/mounting control unit. EmptyFri Feb 19, 2021 11:23 pm

Iresh wrote:
Just my 2c, but I played with the stepper motor wire routing, and it would probably be best to have an enclosure topside or on the back/side of the frame.  I'm planning one of the top rear corners myself.  

There are many Ardunio CNC case 3d files on thingiverse. If you need one I can post a link. Agreed, topside looks best.

Iresh likes this post

Back to top Go down
EEM-LLC
Admin
EEM-LLC

PostSubject: Re: Finished the build, need advice on building/mounting control unit.   Finished the build, need advice on building/mounting control unit. EmptySat Feb 20, 2021 3:04 am

Machine's looking great! The top mount has usually been the way to go. We never had an official enclosure design but all seemed to agree early on that letting it sit where it could get metal chips/dust or things dropped on it was a bad idea.

If you find any particular designs you like, feel free to share. Enclosures and cable retention are in the middle of the 'quality of life' releases I'm getting together so I'm interested to see what everyone prefers.

JB1979 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://github.com/insurgent-industry/GGFlex
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finished the build, need advice on building/mounting control unit.   Finished the build, need advice on building/mounting control unit. Empty

Back to top Go down

Finished the build, need advice on building/mounting control unit.
Page 1 of 1