GGFlex Project User Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedicated to development of the GGFlex Open Source CNC Milling Machine, this forum contains news, updates, guides, support, and community conversations.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

First night building.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
apr67

First night building. Empty
PostSubject: First night building.   First night building. EmptyThu Jan 21, 2021 1:47 pm

I got the full kit from EEM-LLC last night and started building.

I worked on it for a few hours and I got done with the 1st page

(1)X-left-instructions-2a.pdf

I spent a bit of time trying to match screws, spent time with calipers measuring sizes to make sure I am using the right ones.

As others have mentioned sometimes getting the captive nuts in is challenging. I have not tried it yet, but I am wondering if a soldering iron on the nut would soften the plastic enough for the nut to seat. I did have a little breakage (crack) around the outside of the nut holder on the x-base left shaft lock. However it doesn't look like it will be a big deal.

One thing I found out much to my chagrin is that backing the ball screw out too far leads to a disaster. I was trying to get the ball screw out of the way so I could get channel locks on step 5, which I did out of order and had already installed the balls crew and nut. Not sure how many balls I lost, but I am sure its more than a few. I found a video on youtube on re-balling your nuts, however I didn't feel up to it and order a new ball nut from Amazon.

I do have a question on the NEMA motor installs, any suggestions on left, right or center for the wires?
Back to top Go down
apr67

PostSubject: Re: First night building.   First night building. EmptyThu Jan 21, 2021 7:45 pm

Finished the right, and y carriage.  Well the Y isn't done because I may have the wrong ball screw.

Anyway here is a picture of the cracks, I have them on both sides.  Again, it doesn't impact getting anything tight so its just superficial.

First night building. ACtC-3ckq8yut2PBvWh9y_LnoT0uDQPGkZ7LnYBqkbHNVdfQQeXMLjSPraISjcCTsgVAwYE335T9clTz0Mwe8OczbsShsnpTAqVE-fkzbXP2EzXXfUSpx8tqCdcH2DXkmGcBUiCcGH-r3LuY81IPpqekIBzNyg=w1000-no-tmp
Back to top Go down
xyzzy

PostSubject: Re: First night building.   First night building. EmptySat Feb 20, 2021 8:28 pm

Assuming you have all parts ready (e.g. printed) how long does it take to build do you think?
Back to top Go down
apr67

PostSubject: Re: First night building.   First night building. EmptyFri Feb 26, 2021 9:43 pm

I don't know, I have done it over several nights, and its not done yet (missing parts).

I would say 8 or 12 hours. Assuming you don't put it together backwards a few times.
Back to top Go down
swompy

PostSubject: Re: First night building.   First night building. EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 3:34 pm

this is a weak point in the design.. same exact thing happened to me. i just backed it off and built it up with epoxy to avoid wasting the time of printing another. all it has to do is sit there. not really a lot of stress happening at that particular point.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First night building.   First night building. Empty

Back to top Go down

First night building.
Page 1 of 1