GGFlex Project User Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedicated to development of the GGFlex Open Source CNC Milling Machine, this forum contains news, updates, guides, support, and community conversations.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

GG Flex software

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
JB1979

GG Flex software Empty
PostSubject: GG Flex software   GG Flex software EmptyFri May 21, 2021 9:43 pm

I’m new to this cnc machining thing. I just finished the build portion for the flex minus the electronics portion.

Is there software I need to buy and download ? What does everyone recommend as the best option ? If I have an option I don’t know. Im ignorant of this topic please help.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
dmbe11

GG Flex software Empty
PostSubject: Re: GG Flex software   GG Flex software EmptySun May 23, 2021 2:30 am

JB1979 wrote:
I’m new to this cnc machining thing. I just finished the build portion for the flex minus the electronics portion.

Is there software I need to buy and download ? What does everyone recommend as the best option ? If I have an option I don’t know. Im ignorant of this topic please help.
Thanks
If you purchased from eBay as the full kit then the software is already loaded. You need the electronic instructions to put your board together, wire everything up. I would read all the posts from the forum and all the stuff on the GGFlex Github page: https://github.com/EEMLLC/GGFlex. Then I would download the GGun manual and read it too. I started playing with the UGS software mentioned in the manual to figure stuff out. 

I purchased some endstops and a z probe to make my life easier.

the biggest issue is that you can't build anything using the DD software without buying the kits from GGuner.  I thought you could download the jig designs but they don't post them and nobody shares either, I am not sure why. It might be best to design your own jigs. I found some non GGun jig on Thingiverse but have not tested it yet.

good luck

JB1979 likes this post

Back to top Go down
JB1979

GG Flex software Empty
PostSubject: Re: GG Flex software   GG Flex software EmptySun May 23, 2021 5:05 am

Thanks for the reply good info! How many ends stops will I need?
I have been reading the forum posts 👍🏻 Lots of the info is foreign to me because I’m new to this so it means nothing to me. Just trying to take it all in a small bit at a time . I will def read the gg manual just for g/p.
Thanks again brother for your help. 🤙🏼
Back to top Go down
EEM-LLC
Admin
EEM-LLC

GG Flex software Empty
PostSubject: Re: GG Flex software   GG Flex software EmptyTue May 25, 2021 5:07 pm

You'll definitely need the current DDCut release from their Downloads section if trying to use a GG2 compatible machine. Either UniversalGcodeSender or GRBLController are nice for manual control, debugging, or running custom jobs not compressed to .dd files.

Finding job/project files currently requires some digging.
Asking around other community chats/forums for the GG usually yields good results if you can't find exactly what you're looking for.
From another query about the jigs/files;
EEM-LLC wrote:
Jig and project files are typically hosted by their individual authors/designers for anything that could be considered a taxable manufacturing activity.

A Trump-era rule classifying these files as Defense Trade Articles prevented openly sharing online (at the risk of sharing the information with someone not located in the US, a violation of the AECA).
For the past three years the repositories for these files have pretty regularly been pulled down by ISP's and hosting platforms and their creators banned from those platforms. As a result, there are a lot of different working versions of the jigs and projects out there.
This rule and the Department of State overseeing it were defeated in court a month ago and some sources are starting to more openly share files again. Individual states are still filing nuisance lawsuits and injunctions against content creators though, so most folks are still sharing in an 'all in one package' format, with the links shared in semi-private community spaces. There are GG discord and IRC channels, private subreddit's and forums, and random file dumps on related sites; just takes a little searching to find specific project files. If looking for GG-specific files, the .dd file extension can be a helpful query within community forums and chats... people also tend to be more than happy to share copies of files directly peer to peer, though there's some risk of malware to be aware of if the person sharing with you isn't a known entity in the community...

The FOSSCAD repo I've previously mentioned has around a dozen different jigs in the package; most are intended for manual operation with a drill or hand router, but can be adapted to mount to the FLEX table. Some are specific to the GG and contain .dd files already. Pulling dimensions from the CAD files therein is also a big help, and some parts don't even really need a jig/can be bolted straight to the GG's table.

(The FLEX project itself doesn't currently host any of these projects/jigs/files, nor do we promote any particular activity involving the FLEX over any other for legal reasons. We are in cooperation with another group of designers in the space trying to set up a third party hosting platform/repo intended to function similar to Thingiverse, but have a ways to go due to a lack of manpower and limited finances at the moment.)
Back to top Go down
https://github.com/insurgent-industry/GGFlex
dmbe11

GG Flex software Empty
PostSubject: Re: GG Flex software   GG Flex software EmptyTue May 25, 2021 6:49 pm

JB1979 wrote:
Thanks for the reply good info! How many ends stops will I need?
I have been reading the forum posts 👍🏻 Lots of the info is foreign to me because I’m new to this so it means nothing to me. Just trying to take it all in a small bit at a time . I will def read the gg manual just for g/p.
Thanks again brother for your help. 🤙🏼
I am adding 2 for each axis. So far I have my Y axis done, and next will set up the X-axis. 
I am thinking about using an optical version for the x-axis as it would be easy to mount 
on the lower rail with a flag attached to the build platform. 

Just to show the idea here is a rendering of something similar:
GG Flex software Z-axis-optical-endstop-re-d-bot-3d-printing-138103
Back to top Go down
JB1979

GG Flex software Empty
PostSubject: Re: GG Flex software   GG Flex software EmptyThu May 27, 2021 11:15 pm

Do you have any recommendations on which end stops to get? And how many?
Back to top Go down
EEM-LLC
Admin
EEM-LLC

GG Flex software Empty
PostSubject: Re: GG Flex software   GG Flex software EmptyFri May 28, 2021 7:34 pm

dmbe11 wrote:

I am adding 2 for each axis. So far I have my Y axis done, and next will set up the X-axis. 
I am thinking about using an optical version for the x-axis as it would be easy to mount 
on the lower rail with a flag attached to the build platform. 

Just to show the idea here is a rendering of something similar:
GG Flex software Z-axis-optical-endstop-re-d-bot-3d-printing-138103

Awesome! We have optical mounts in the backwards compatible package but they're temperamental so far in testing (hesitant to even release them, since I've had the X one fail from dust).

I'm probably going to release mounts for inductive proximity sensors once they're fully tested. They tend to be way more reliable homing off the machine frame, though they cost about 5x the MK3/optical/UM2 switch route. Better for larger scale and dirtier setups though.

JB1979 wrote:
Do you have any recommendations on which end stops to get? And how many?

Currently the leading option is three Mk3 (also known as RepRap and Makerbot) endstops, though the Ultimaker minis are pretty nice and Omron-style mechanicals are also seeing some testing (for a huge, rugged option).

keljayent and JB1979 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://github.com/insurgent-industry/GGFlex
JB1979

GG Flex software Empty
PostSubject: Re: GG Flex software   GG Flex software EmptySat May 29, 2021 12:52 am

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

GG Flex software Empty
PostSubject: Re: GG Flex software   GG Flex software Empty

Back to top Go down

GG Flex software
Page 1 of 1