GGFlex Project User Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedicated to development of the GGFlex Open Source CNC Milling Machine, this forum contains news, updates, guides, support, and community conversations.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Anybody still here?

Go down 
+2
JAMMnGA
mrcastle92
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mrcastle92

Anybody still here? Empty
PostSubject: Anybody still here?   Anybody still here? EmptySun Apr 30, 2023 10:37 pm

Is anyone still involved in this project or is anyone actively using their machine?

DD_defensive likes this post

Back to top Go down
JAMMnGA

PostSubject: Old lurker, now active   Anybody still here? EmptySat May 06, 2023 8:11 am

I've lurked these pages several years and I am now ready participate. Hate to see that it seems to be abandoned by the Devs. I have experience in 3D printers and currently building a V2.4 so the software and hardware are familiar. Is anyone else still active here and want to attempt to move this ball foward?

mrcastle92, DD_defensive and Texaksolu16 like this post

Back to top Go down
mrcastle92

PostSubject: Re: Anybody still here?   Anybody still here? EmptyMon Jun 05, 2023 6:50 pm

I'm ready to keep this ball rolling. I coincidently am also building a 2.4 at the moment, still printing all abs parts. Did you build a gg flex or were you just looking?

Back to top Go down
DD_defensive

PostSubject: Re: Anybody still here?   Anybody still here? EmptyFri Jun 09, 2023 10:30 pm

I'm new here. Nice to meet you. Have you already built your kit?

Do you know where I cam buy a kit?

Back to top Go down
BananaHands

PostSubject: Re: Anybody still here?   Anybody still here? EmptySat Jun 10, 2023 10:38 pm

I just signed up. Looking forward to starting my build eventually. Hopefully we can keep this forum on life support, maybe even bring it back.

Back to top Go down
Texaksolu16

PostSubject: Re: Anybody still here?   Anybody still here? EmptyMon Jun 19, 2023 6:46 am

mrcastle92 wrote:
Is anyone still involved in this project or is anyone actively using their machine?

Hey, i got new to that forum! Where i can find the files to the 3d printed parts?

Back to top Go down
DD_defensive

PostSubject: Re: Anybody still here?   Anybody still here? EmptyTue Jun 20, 2023 1:01 am

BananaHands wrote:
I just signed up. Looking forward to starting my build eventually. Hopefully we can keep this forum on life support, maybe even bring it back.

I hope hope keep this going also. I see there's a forum for STL files. For anyone who doesn't know, STL files are are likely the files for the 3D Printed parts we need.

I'm going to place the link to that forum here: STL FILES

I don't know much at programming or printing but I'm guessing what we need to do is dig through that forum and the site itself to find the 3d printed parts we need to print.

I know there are other aspects/parts like the Aluminum needed and the hardware also the computer and possibly motherboards, motors and wires.

I just assembled an Ender 3. I did it via YouTube video so I also have no idea what I am doing but I'm thinking between all of us we can figure this out.

Back to top Go down
DD_defensive

PostSubject: Re: Anybody still here?   Anybody still here? EmptyTue Jun 20, 2023 1:03 am

Texaksolu16 wrote:
mrcastle92 wrote:

Hey, i got new to that forum! Where i can find the files to the 3d printed parts?

Hey there, I'm not sure where the files are but I found a forum on this page that contains 3d printed files.

Maybe you can look in it and see what files are needed and then report back so we can also print them out and stator our builds?

Here is the link to the forum: 3d printed parts files forum

And welcome to the site Smile

DD_defensive and Texaksolu16 like this post

Back to top Go down
DD_defensive

PostSubject: Re: Anybody still here?   Anybody still here? EmptyTue Jun 20, 2023 1:20 am

I also found this into here: https://ggflex.forumotion.com/t95-incomplete-noob-guide

"I have made this thread in an effort to save inexperienced builders the trouble of tracking down all the information and files necessary to feel comfortable completing a lower.
*Disclaimer - I myself am completly new to CNC milling and only a novice at 3d printing. I have only gotten as far as assembling the frame and wiring harness. Despite this I hope complete my build soon and consolidate/document all the information to make it more clear to those of us that are new. I will update this guide periodically. If anyone has corrections or useful information please post it here or PM me.

> Acquiring Parts

For the time being the only way to obtain a Flex is to either source the components yourself or track a complete build/kit down from a 3rd party. EEM-LLC the only remaining project dev I am aware of used to sell kits on ebay until they decided to shut him down in May, he has not posted since. (See thread: https://ggflex.forumotion.com/t77-ebay-kit-sales) For now EEM-LLC's github containing the relevent build info is still available. At some point I will make a few batches of 3d printed parts to sell at cost since my printer is usually idling these days anyway. Hit me up if you are considering a build and I can fasttrack this.

Build materials and assembly instructions:
https://github.com/EEMLLC/GGFlex
https://mega.nz/file/oFhSyQ4Q#9o0CR1XwLuBN63YGJBHIiONxw8NjERQTSqFeIg5mIZk (git backup)
*3d printable cornerbrackets are now available on the github which can be stronger/more accurate than using aluminum L brackets.
** A couple of M5 screws may be missing from ebay kits (can someone confirm witch?)
*** Basic tools including metric hex wrenches and a square are required.
**** No power supply mentioned in BOM,

EEM LLC wrote:

spoiler:

To complete the build you will need to 3d print several components or source them from a service that will do it for you. Considering you are here building a cnc mill anyway I would assume you would enjoy having a 3d printer! These days they are very affordable and useful so there is really no excuse to not get one. If you are unsure about what to buy I would reccomend the Creality Ender 3 V2 off Amazon or Ebay, it is very cheap with decent quality and upgradabillity. I have made a guide if you are new to 3d printers here:
https://pastebin.com/siug9E00
(or)
https://ghostbin.com/paste/dAiga

EEMLLC has reccomended the following settings for PLA:
35-50% infill
195-205 degree hotend
50-65 degree bed
0.4 - 0.5 nozzles (in 0.15-0.25 layer thicknesses)

My Ender 3 V2 slicer profile: https://mega.nz/file/RBpG1CAK#owEIsnyI2y0gB_n3DiHwnSyTEjK3s9CXJqZuQLhHino
(works good for me but print some benchmarks of course first, see 20mm cube on thingiverse.)

> Asemmbly

* This is where the guide starts to become sparse. I will do my best to provide detailed instructions as I figure more out and update the guide.
** Working on some alterative limit switch 3d printable brackets (2/3 done). Will post in coming days.

Following the PDF provided should atleast get your frame built. Assembling the electronic harness is where it gets tricky... Please note that in step 2-3 when following the pdf that you cannot verify ddcut is installed (as far as I am aware) without having the cncsheild plugged in. (grbl nor ddcut will recognise any connections)

> Operation

* Coming soon - but for now here are some useful files:

AR-15 lower tolerances:
https://optimusdefense.com/image/data/docs/Optimus_AR-15_inspection.pdf

Useful links:
https://github.com/grbl/grbl/wiki - grbl wiki
https://ghostgunner.net/downloads/ - GG downloads (ddcut/grbl etc)
https://pasteboard.co/Va4bfTL1p5fS.jpg - Useful pic in gg2 manual, axis orientation.

.dd files and models:
PM me.

Texaksolu16 likes this post

Back to top Go down
BananaHands

PostSubject: Re: Anybody still here?   Anybody still here? EmptyTue Jun 20, 2023 5:53 am

DD_defensive, you have really been doing your homework! I have the print files, they are *.amf but will open in your slicer, if you need them along with the assembly guide, software, etc.

It will take me a while to figure out what is what but for the most part it seems like simple Arduino work. It's probably not that simple though, nothing ever is.
Back to top Go down
Texaksolu16

PostSubject: Active   Anybody still here? EmptyMon Jun 26, 2023 5:49 am

DD_defensive wrote:
BananaHands wrote:

I hope hope keep this going also. I see there's a forum for STL files. For anyone who doesn't know, STL files are are likely the files for the 3D Printed parts we need.

I'm going to place the link to that forum here: STL FILES

I don't know much at programming or printing but I'm guessing what we need to do is dig through that forum and the site itself to find the 3d printed parts we need to print.

I know there are other aspects/parts like the Aluminum needed and the hardware also the computer and possibly motherboards, motors and wires.

I just assembled an Ender 3. I did it via YouTube video so I also have no idea what I am doing but I'm thinking between all of us we can figure this out.

Me neither, but i will help as much as i can! I try to be more online
(PS: i still dont get it how to post a reply )
Back to top Go down
swompy

PostSubject: What do you guys need   Anybody still here? EmptyTue Jul 18, 2023 12:55 am

I've successfully builds multiple .. both original and max spec. You dont need a kit.. you need a parts list determination and patience... cuts is best on the small one. More ridged.. less chatter. Possibilities are better on the max spec
Back to top Go down
BananaHands

PostSubject: Re: Anybody still here?   Anybody still here? EmptyTue Jul 18, 2023 7:31 am

swompy wrote:
I've successfully builds multiple .. both original and max spec. You dont need a kit.. you need a parts list determination and patience... cuts is best on the small one. More ridged.. less chatter.  Possibilities are better on the max spec

What hardware, software, and firmware did you use? That seems to be about the only thing I can't find.
Back to top Go down
swompy

PostSubject: Re: Anybody still here?   Anybody still here? EmptyTue Jul 18, 2023 9:23 am

BananaHands wrote:
swompy wrote:
I've successfully builds multiple .. both original and max spec. You dont need a kit.. you need a parts list determination and patience... cuts is best on the small one. More ridged.. less chatter.  Possibilities are better on the max spec

What hardware, software, and firmware did you use? That seems to be about the only thing I can't find.

I bought the parts list off of ebay, Amazon and alibaba. The software and firmware really just depend on what you want to do with it.. if you want to hook DDcut software to it and use their cut codes you need to use their firmware. They added in a feed back loop and some special commands into grbl. If you want to hook it to ugs or the like .. dont use their firmware. their feed back loop is super noise and is usually interpreted as errors. It will work.. it just throws errors like crazy. The one thing I will say is if you go from source firmware with DDs alterations you might have to fiddle with the compiler settings a bit to get enough compression to fit it on the arduino. I did have some issues with that. What I will say about ddcut and their cut codes is they make it super easy.. modeling a path, writing your zero logic is probably beyond most beginners.. I've been writing software for 20 years. Though not normally writing embedded.. the change for me was minimal. As far as firmware goes... all of these variants are running grbl or modified grbl. You can find it on github https://github.com/grbl/grbl.. obviously if you want dds version use that instead
https://github.com/Defdist/grbl1v0c_DD_GrBLDC2v7

These are dd2 spec machines.. getting on dd3 spec firmware wouldnt work. The version of cnc shield matters. They have a couple versions out there.. both can work fine.. but the pinnouts are buggered on the early version creating a good bit of confusion. That said.. I normally run the early version because it's so cheap. it's not broken.. it's just not to spec. Still works. Biggest issue I've had is noise on my end stops. This is a pain and I've not really found a good way to eliminate it completely. Which is why after homing my endstops normally get shut off until I'm through my cut. I'm not sure if that's what ddist is doing as we.. I have their code but I havent looked in detail at anything except homing. The beauty of this machine is the cnc shield and arduino are like 30 bucks .. keep you a double handful in your cabinet and get some better than entry grade drivers. if you run it hard you will burn stuff up. Its cheap.. you shouldnt care. This is a knowledge journey and should be treated as such. Components out of plastic arent durable. Can you macgyver this thing together and make a pewpew or something else of value the powers dont want you to have? Sure can.. they cant stop an awake determined mind without killing it. That said.. there are nicer components to use to build a cnc... including going the mini mill from harbor freight and retrofitting steppers ... way more ridged and durable. But you are also creating your own paths and code for homing / zeroing.. and your a bit more money. Better cut with good code. No support. But like I said. Knowledge journey
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anybody still here?   Anybody still here? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anybody still here?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GGFlex Project User Community :: Community Posts :: Project Discussion-
Jump to: